Thursday, February 19, 2009

TAKS Test!!!

It's officially time. Next Tuesday to be exact.I have dreaded this time of year since August. Things at school will be crazy and BORING! As a Test Administrator it makes for a VERY long day. But I am also worried about Shel. This is her first year in Texas schools and since she's in the 3rd grade she has to pass the Reading part of the test to move on to the 4th grade. She is very smart and all but she stresses over test. She did great on the last practice test so I'm praying that she will remain on that course. Her teacher has done a very good job of preparing her for the test. There are so many rules and regulations that have to be followed during testing. Not only for the teachers but for the students as well. I guess I never realized because we've always been a part of a private school, just how much goes along with this sort of test. I can honestly say that before we entered the Texas school system in August that I had never even heard of the TAKS Test. But boy I am learning all about it now. When Shel came home after the 1st week of school and announced something about AR points I realized we were in for a rude awakening. Let me clear up a few things before I go any further before someone assumes that we weren't in a very good school system prior to coming to Texas. Cause let me tell you we were! Shelby could write her name in K2 and came home reading ,not just words but beginner books, in K4. She learned how to write in cursive in Kindergarten and she learned her multiplication tables in the 2nd grade. Not only all that but she had learned to hold the Lord in highest regard. She learned a new Bible verse every week and attended chapel on Wed. mornnings. I believe she was molded there and that's why we felt comfortable with taking her out of christian education. She had been taught how to love the Lord at TCS and she knew what she believed in.
Now let me explain what AR points are for those of you who don't know. She has to read 80 minutes every week that results in 20 minutes a night. When she finishes the book she has to test on the computer what the book was over. That's how they figure in the points she's earned. She really enjoyed doing this at the beginning of the year but now that the year is coming SLOWLY to an end it sometimes becomes an argument to read. She knows she has to do it, she just procrastinates to the bitter end. Then I have to step in and get her back on track. Thursday nights are her favorite though because she gets to go dance right after school. She's there until 6:15 so when she comes home she's to tired to play cause she's already gotten all that 8 yr. old energy out. She usually comes right in and sits down and starts reading. Oh how I wish dance could be 5 nights a week instead of 1.
So if your child doesn't attend Texas schools be so thankful that you're not preparing for the killer TAKS Test.
P.S. We really do love our schools just not the test!

2 comments:

  1. HI,
    Just found your blog. Use to live in Malta. I know huh. Am a Freshman English teacher now in a small town in AZ... Thanks for the read.

    Gin

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't wait to see her dance. will she have a recital?

    ~Auntie

    ReplyDelete