Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Firemen

Last night was Aaron's bi-monthly fire drill and they burned a house down - on purpose! It was part of the drill. We ( Wanda and I) went to watch. There were a lot of people gathered around wondering why in the world the Fire Dept. wasn't trying to save the house. The house was vacant and the owner wanted the guys to come out and burn it down. It wasn't off a country road...it was right in the city. In DeKalb when something catches fire the whole town knows about it because, well, we are so close because our town is so small. Anyway I got lots of pictures..............

Once you turned off of my county road and drove into the city limits you could see the smoke from miles away.

side view of the house- I was standing a couple of houses down


this was taken shortly after they set the fire - walls are still standing




that's my fireman in the middle spraying the water ( story to follow later in the post)


firemen accessing the situation at hand (WHO (not what or where but WHO)) do we need to spray next??)


the firemen hard at work

Aaron and Clint controlling the water (not a good thing)


Remember when the firemen were accessing the situation and were trying to figure out WHO to spray next? Well, here is their victim...Micheal Terry - Fireman Of The Year. They hosed him not sprayed him down. He had on bunker gear and was still SOAKIN wet!! Poor guy!


Tommy and Clint- I made the mistake of joking with them and telling them they could make a firemen calendar. And...well...it went from there. So here they are (trying) to dance and they posed for a lot of pictures!


This is the last picture of the house I took before I left. The walls were mostly caved in at this point.

I enjoyed watching all the firemen in action. I always get the stories but never the mental pictures to go along with it. So now I know what's involved in a house fire. The guys weren't as serious as they normally would of been if it were a real fire that wasn't set. They did a lot of training when the house first started to burn. Then they made the most of it and decided to try to make sure everyone went home wet. And I did go home wet. The guys just loved spraying me and I was a easy target because I was right there in the middle of them snapping pictures. They didn't seem to care one bit that my camera was getting wet. Even my husband thought it was fun to spray me. He'll pay, don't worry!

I did learn a few things while I was standing there watching. Well I didn't learn it, it was just brought to my attention. First, fires are scary! I have never seen a house be fully engulfed in flames before. I never realized the heat a house fire puts off. I learned to respect the fire. I can't even begin to imagine how hot hell is going to be if you don't know the Lord as your personal Savior. It's something to think about. I know I wouldn't want to be there and I know that I'm not going to be there.
Secondly, I realized just how lucky I am that everything I own has never just gone up in flames. To stand back and watch how powerful the fire can be is breath taking.
Thirdly, I realized that every single time that fire pager goes off, my husband puts his life at risk for someone else. I'm not sure I've acknowledged nor understood how much of a risk each of those firemen take on a daily basis. It was humbling- to say the least. So if you know a fireman don't forget to say thank-you for what they do. If you know a volunteer fireman don't forget to tell them how much you appreciate the sacrifice they make. Because after all they don't have to give up their time. They sure aren't getting anything out of it - other than self satisfaction.

A couple of weeks ago I told you about Stellan. In the womb he was diagnosed with a heart condition and was not supposed to live. Miraculously he was born healthy. His heart has slipped into SVT and has been in and out for 4 weeks now. He is having surgery today. Please keep him in your prayers today.

No comments:

Post a Comment